Dos and Don’ts of Solo Travel Safety
Traveling solo can be one of the most rewarding and liberating ways of exploring the world. Whether you’re travelling alone for business, pleasure or a mix of both, the journey can be extra special. As a solo traveler, you get to experience total freedom, meet new people and create tons of incredible memories. But, just like any other form of travel, it can also have its risks, so it’s important to take steps to protect your safety. Here are some essential do’s and don’ts to keep in mind while travelling solo:
- Research your destination – Before you set out, read up on the local culture, customs, general safety and potential hazards.
- Share your plans with a friend – Let your family or friends know where you are going, the places you plan to visit and how long you’ll be gone.
- Keep a copy of important documents – Make a copy of your passport and store it electronically or in a secure place such as a hotel safe.
- Stay in touch with loved ones – Find ways to touch base with your family and friends back home.
- Be mindful of your valuables – Be mindful of who you trust and keep your belongings safe at all times.
- Know the laws of the land – Make sure you familiarise yourself with the local laws and customs.
- Go out too late at night – Try to be back to your accommodation before dark especially in unfamiliar places.
- Accept offers from strangers – Although meeting new people is great, avoid activities with strangers as it could be dangerous.
- Ignore your instinct – Trust your gut feeling and be prepared to walk away when necessary.
- Forget travel insurance – Neglecting to purchase travel insurance can be the biggest risk of all.
- Lose sight of your belongings – Losing sight of your belongings, especially important documents, can be a major setback.
- Be complacent – Keep your guard up and watch for signs of danger in your environment.
Overall, remember that traveling solo is an amazing experience that could be made even better with the right precautions. Doing your homework, trusting your intuition and staying alert are some of the key components to safe and enjoyable travel no matter where you go. It’s also important to get the right travel insurance to give your trip the additional protection it needs. With the correct preparations, you can make sure your solo travels are an amazing adventure that you’ll remember for a lifetime.