Table of contents
A Comprehensive Guide to Dublin’s Best Pubs – Reviews, Locations, And More
Ireland is famous for its pubs, and Dublin is home to some of the best. From lively Irish music sessions to strong pints of Guinness, no night out in Dublin would be complete without a visit to one of the city’s beloved pubs.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the best pubs in Dublin, from traditional Irish establishments to those serving modern craft beer. We’ll look at their opening hours, locations, and what makes each pub unique. We’ll also discuss the history of Irish pubs and how the country’s drinking culture has evolved. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s dive into Dublin’s amazing pub scene!
Background of Irish Pubs
Irish pubs (or publicans) can trace their history back to the 17th century, when alcohol was brewed and served on the premises. Today’s pubs come in a variety of different forms, but all are typically centered around the same traditional Irish drinking culture.
Irish pubs are known for their laid-back atmosphere, their propensity for good company, and their wide array of subtle flavors in both beer and whiskey. They offer an interesting blend of the old and the new, with classic Irish musical acts, traditional pub food, and modern craft beer.
Different Types of Dublin Pubs
When it comes to pubs in Dublin, there is no shortage of options. Here are some of the most popular types of pubs to check out:
- Traditional Pubs: These pubs are usually narrow, dimly lit, and have a thick wood interior that gives it an old-world charm. They’re often known for their live music, particularly Irish folk songs. Here, you can enjoy cold beer, traditional Irish whiskey, and the occasional pub-brawl.
- Craft Beer Pubs: These pubs serve a wide variety of artisanal beers sourced from independent breweries across Ireland. They usually have knowledgeable bartenders who can make great recommendations. If you’re looking for something unique, these pubs are a great place to start.
- Modern Pubs: These pubs offer a more contemporary take on the traditional pub experience. They often have large TVs for sports watching, pool tables for gaming, and a wide selection of craft beer, whiskey, and cocktails. These pubs are perfect for a night out with friends.
- Sports Pubs: If sports are your thing, then you can’t go wrong with a sports pub. These pubs are often filled with loud energy, as locals and tourists alike gather to watch the latest soccer or rugby match. If you don’t live in Dublin, you may even be able to find an international sports bar.
The Best Pubs in Dublin
Now that you have an idea of the different types of pubs in Dublin, let’s take a look at some of the best establishments in the city.
- O’Neill’s Pub: Located in the heart of Temple Bar, O’Neill’s offers the perfect Midlands pub experience with traditional Irish music, Guinness on tap, and hearty pub grub.
- The Temple Bar: This iconic Dublin pub is known for its lively atmosphere and eclectic beer selection. During the day, you can drop by for a pint, and by night, the place is filled with locals and tourists alike.
- The Forge: Located in the Westmoreland Street area, this pub claims to be the first traditional Irish craft beer bar in the country. Their selection of craft beer and whiskey is sure to satisfy beer connoisseurs.
- Bull & Castle: Not to be confused with its namesake in Dublin’s fair city, this lively pub is located near the Castleknock area. It has a modern atmosphere and serves some of the city’s best craft beers.
- Kehoe’s Pub: Affectionately known as the “best pub on the planet”, Kehoe’s serve up classic Guinness and cold beer served in traditional surroundings. It’s the perfect place to chat with locals, listen to Irish music, or just sit back and enjoy the atmosphere.
Irish pubs are a cornerstone of Dublin’s culture and provide a unique experience you won’t soon forget. Next time you’re in Dublin, make sure to check out some of these places – you won’t be disappointed! So what are you waiting for? Get yourself to one of Dublin’s best pubs for some great food, drink, and atmosphere. Slainte!